It's actually very rude to dismiss Olaf's work on this as 'just so' stories. He has done laboratory tests of olivine dissolution rates in water under conditions of agitation, field tests of olivine particle evolution in farmland in the Netherlands, and is in touch with other who have, eg, measured biotic acceleration of olivine dissolution by lugworms on coastal mudflats.

That's not to say that there is not much more work to be done. But field experimentation is expensive and few funders are coming forward to pay for this kind of work. Some promise, for sure, but are very short on delivery.

Your idea that it's somehow 'scientific' to stick with 'results' that we know to be false by several orders of magnitude is to my mind somewhat paradoxical.

We know about the silicate, and indeed in many marine areas - those polluted by agricultural and sewage runoff - the bloom of diatoms at the expense of other algae would be a considerable benefit, replacing carpets of chocking algae with healthy populations of fish. Diatoms also do not expel CO2 from marine bicarbonate as part of the shell building process, and are good at sequestering carbon to deep water. The silicic acid will only cause 'massive diatom blooms' where all the other nutrients are already present to cause massive algal blooms in any case, so the effect will only be to replace one algal bloom with another.

The main metals liberated by the dissolution of olivine are Mg (already abundant) and Fe which is in many places a limiting nutrient. Nickel is not normally considered an olivine constituent, though olivine is often found with nickel bearing ores.

Oliver.