Hi Kevin,

Your analysis is excellent.  And we must try to smooth the way forward to
climate restoration, which has to be the end goal.  Can anyone now disagree
with that goal?

But why has COP blundered with their absurdly optimistic projections,
effectively lying to us?  You suggest:

"The COP agreements must preserve the notion that obtaining a global zero
carbon economy is sufficient to stop climate change. If the negotiators
believe that this is no longer possible the COP process breaks down and a
free-for-all is the unavoidable result. To avoid this, then overly
optimistic projections must be made."

It occurs to me that IPCC may have been avoiding truthfulness because of a
widespread *demonisation* of geoengineering.  Geoengineering is against our
gut instincts, which we are all liable to follow.  Out of a hundred or more
peer-reviewed papers on geoengineering which I have read, I cannot recall a
single paper which treats geoengineering as possibly desirable or
necessary.  So naturally the consensus of IPCC scientists would only
consider geoengineering as a last resort.  I believe this could be why COP
agreements always preserve the notion that obtaining a global zero carbon
economy (i.e zero net emissions) is sufficient to cause the global
temperature to start falling and stop climate change.  To admit otherwise
would necessarily mean support for immediate deployment of climate
interventions aka geoengineering.  Slay the demon and blow the planet.
Following our gut instincts now will ensure future catastrophe.

So let us be positive and work towards climate restoration, with CDR and
SRM as necessary means to an end.

Cheers, John