Gents

Permit me a precautionary note. The Royal Society Report noted, subsequently
confirmed by the Climate Geoengineering Governance Project, that all of the
cost estimates for geoengineering technologies were overdetermined by the input
assumptions (
http://www.geoengineering-governance-research.org/perch/resources/workingpaper13mackerroncostsandeconomicsofgeoengineering.pdf
 ). CGG also noted that project costs are almost invariably subject to the
phenomenon of “appraisal optimism”. Furthermore, historical generalisations,
S-curves, etc. are based on innovations that made it and are simply patterns.
There is no inevitability that any technology will follow such a path, indeed,
most patents are death certificates.

I’m not trying to be pessimistic, just urging a little caution.

Best

Steve Rayner
James Martin Professor of Science & Civilisation
Institute for Science, Innovation & Society
Professorial Fellow, Keble College
University of Oxford
64 Banbury Road
Oxford, OX2 6PN