Dear all

For what it's worth: I wrote up my thoughts on the IPCC Special Report on
the 1.5°C target including with regard to geoengineering.

On the IASS blog
<https://www.iass-potsdam.de/en/blog/2018/10/reflections-ipcc-special-report-pathways-and-impacts-15degc>,

and reposted with minor modifications on the Harvard SGR blog
<https://geoengineering.environment.harvard.edu/blog/reflections-ipcc-special-report-pathways-and-impacts-15C>
 and
the FCEA blog
<https://ceassessment.org/reflections-on-the-ipcc-special-report-on-pathways-to-and-impacts-of-1-5oc/>
.

The gist: We are facing a risk-laden future (and should be honest about
that) and therefore "we would not be well advised to prematurely exclude
potential options – from emissions reductions to adaptation, CO2 removal
and solar geoengineering (SRM) – even if these options do not appear
perfect at first glance and require further research. Anyone who deals with
financial investments knows about the necessity of diversification when
dealing with risks."

And with that I retreat into three weeks of radio-silent trekking off the
grid.
Best, Matthias