I have been chatting with Mike offline (since I was sending him
pictures of some visual glitches). And am dragging a topic back to the
list for discussion...

One of the problems with running geoserver on Vista / Windows 7 is the
location of the data directory in "Program Files" (it results in a
bunch of strange consequences[1]). As long as Mike is producing a new
installer could we make use of the "App Data" location?

Jody
[1] Any attempt to modify a file in program files suffers an operating
system slight of hand and the modifications end up in the
AppData/Roaming folder