On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 12:09 PM, Andrea Aime <aa...@opengeo.org> wrote:
> Ian Turton ha scritto:
>> On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 11:56 AM, Mike Pumphrey <m...@opengeo.org> wrote:
>>> Hi Ian.  That is a valid consideration.  The new installer does put a
>>> shortcut in the Start Menu to that folder, but you're right that the
>>> inability to simply navigate to the data_dir via Explorer could be a bit
>>> awkward.  Do you have an alternate placement suggestion, or do you think we
>>> should leave things as is?
>>>

>> I guess $HOME/Geoserver_data would probably work best across most
>> systems - the user can find it easily, has write permission and you
>> could put a readme in the directory telling them how to change
>> $GEOSERVER_DATADIR to point to an new location if they want to change
>> it.
>
> Hmmm... except in some systems (Unix) a user can be there without having
> a  home, and that is especially true for users that run services.
>
> However, this is the Windows installer. Can a user that runs services
> exist without a home there?

I hadn't thought of people actually doing the install as
administrator. The problems that my students run in to are usually
related to only having user privileges on the machine. But I think
vista always makes you a home directory when you create an account -
for example posgres has a user folder on my vista machine.

Ian
--
Ian Turton

Sent from State College, PA, United States