Hi Ian.  That is a valid consideration.  The new installer does put a shortcut
in the Start Menu to that folder, but you're right that the inability to simply
navigate to the data_dir via Explorer could be a bit awkward.  Do you have an
alternate placement suggestion, or do you think we should leave things as is?

Thanks,
Mike Pumphrey
OpenGeo - http://opengeo.org