Ah,
Ian, I think that WMS/WMTS/WFS cascading never supported anything besides
basic and maybe digest authentication.
A mechanism such as "authkey" requires the server to add the key into the
capablilities backlinks (geoserver authkey does
that, barring any bug), otherwise the client has to know about it, which
defeats the purpose of the module.
And working off the links in GetCapabilities is the standard and "correct"
behavior.

If you're talking with a server that does not add back the key into the
caps document, then you'll need to add your own
auth support in the client.
Again, in the HTTP client would be best, the generic WMS/WMTS should stay
auth unaware, there
are just too many possible auth mechanism, best to centralize them in the
http clients or a wrapper of them.

Cheers
Andrea

--