Hi Anton,

If you are using Apache Tomcat or another container I recommend using JNDI connection pooling. That way you have 1 connection pool shared among all of your layers and you can manage it easily. I observed significant performance gains when switching from "PostGIS" to "PostGIS (JNDI)" type of store (database connections don't have to be recreated with each request and it saves a lot of time). It works with ImageMosaic datastores with custom dimensions too.

http://docs.geoserver.org/stable/en/user/tutorials/tomcat-jndi/tomcat-jndi.html

Cheers,

Peter