Hi, Ben,

Metatiling doesn't work with Vector Tiles.  Metatiling, basically, has the
WMS create an image 4* (in both directions) as large and then GWC breaks it
into 16 smaller images.   This helps with labelling.

You cannot (easily) cut up vector tiles, so you cannot do this with vector
tiles (only with image tiles).

Dave