Hi!
I recently faced a similar task.
Hundreds of high resolution geotiffs over a limited area that I wanted to
serve on Geoserver. This is 2.16 but I do not think that matters. I also
have several image sets from different years. In all, this amounts to
several tens of gigabytes.
I tried to use image mosaic, but performance was horrible. A suggestion
from this list was to degrade the tiffs and compress them further. This
would effectively duplicate an already large file storage and I hesitated
to do that. Also, I do not want the Geoserver machine to double as a file
storage.
I solved the task by mosaicking the yearly file sets into jpeg200, one file
per year. These I then serve, one store and layer per year. No need for
tiling either. That is taken care of in the file format.
Normally I use ecw for purposes like these, but there is a licensing issue
with ecw in a server environment. JPEG2000 is true open source, and is
almost as efficient as ecw. Files are slightly larger.
Mosaicking, projection and file conversion was of course done with FME.

*GisKraft*, Geodatakonsult

Mats Elfström, Marsvinsholms stationsväg 80, 271 93 Ystad, Sweden
tel: +46 70 595 39 35 / web: www.giskraft.com