During the Grid Coverage/Renderer improvements IRC today, we talked
about merging the grid coverage branch onto trunk.

See:
http://docs.codehaus.org/display/GEOTOOLS/2006/05/01/Renderer+IRC
and the " Renderer improvements meeting part 2 (Grid Coverge Merge to
Trunk)" message thread.

I know almost nothing about the FM branch, and the last I heard was that
it was going to be another 6 months before its done.  Apparently, thats
incorrect, and its going to be finished up next month (june) because
there's a lot of OWS-4 work thats depending on it.

Perhaps we can get a check-in from the folks who are working on FM, or
who are current stalled (or will soon be stalled) waiting for it - at
the very least get a list of the FM 'stakeholders'.

The main problem is that a Grid Coverage merge could quite possibily
"step on the toes" of the FM folks (see the IRC discussion linked
above).  Trying to do the Grid Coverage merge and FM merge at the same
time is almost certainly going to cause problems, so it seems like we
should either:

a) merge current trunk (I believe the main changes are changes to
expression - correct me if I'm wrong) with Grid Coverage Branch +
Renderering Improvments - this would be a 2.3 release.
  2.4 would then be  2.3 (ie. coverages) + FM.

OR

b) wait for the FM merge to occur (current trunk + FM = 2.3) then merge
the Grid Coverage stuff in later (2.4 = trunk + FM + Grid).

There's other options, but I thought I would just throw this out so that
the FM folks could start talking.  Whats the plan? (In terms of those
working on it, and those "waiting" on it)  Is doing a Grid merge going
to cause problems?  If so, what do we do?

I dont think there's a pressing need "right now, today" to merge the
grid stuff in (I could be wrong, though), but I know a lot of people
have been waiting for it for a while.

dave

ps. Jody's kindly offered (free-as-in-beer-and-as-in-speech) FM
walk-throughs all this week on IRC.
pps. There is starting to be a fairly large divergence between 2.2.x and
trunk.  This is making it difficult to move 2.2.x patches to trunk - not
all bug fixes are finding there way to trunk.  This seems to indicate
that we should kick out a 2.3 fairly soon.
ppps. Justin has said that the FM branch is basically a re-write of the
geotools core.  It certainly makes sense to call the end result
"geotools 3" to recognize this.