Hi Coop,

        I'm interested in this as well and am planning to get to it
sometime. Rob Blackwell's blog mentioned that he used EPSG:4326

"Virtual Earth uses a WGS84 Mercator projection, but WMS servers need you to
specify the projection. In this case we've specified a Coordinate Reference
System (CRS) of EPSG:4326 which is a common geographic projection that is
equivalent to WGS84."
        I suspect this does not work well at high zoom values. I gather as
well that the veapi.js needs to be modified.

Chris Holmes mentions this in his GeoServer 1.5.3 announcement:
http://blog.geoserver.org/2007/08/14/geoserver-embraces-the-geoweb/

"With a bit of coding from Andrea we're also now shipping with support for
the map projection used by Virtual Earth and Google Maps, thanks to SharpGIS
and Chris Schmidt.  So now if you use 900913 as the EPSG code for your WMS
requests our output will be perfectly overlaid on those maps."

900913 is a custom EPSG created specific to Google and VE. You can download
the latest version of GeoServer1.5.3 and look at the
configuration\release\user_projections\epsg.properties

900913=PROJCS["WGS84 / Simple Mercator", GEOGCS["WGS 84", DATUM["WGS_1984",
SPHEROID["WGS_1984", 6378137.0, 298.257223563]], PRIMEM["Greenwich", 0.0],
UNIT["degree", 0.017453292519943295], AXIS["Longitude", EAST],
AXIS["Latitude", NORTH]], PROJECTION["Mercator_1SP_Google"],
PARAMETER["latitude_of_origin", 0.0], PARAMETER["central_meridian", 0.0],
PARAMETER["scale_factor", 1.0], PARAMETER["false_easting", 0.0],
PARAMETER["false_northing", 0.0], UNIT["m", 1.0], AXIS["x", EAST], AXIS["y",
NORTH], AUTHORITY["EPSG","900913"]]

You can use the GeoTools projection code by adding this to the EPSG
database. Or you could more simply add your own Java projection code using
the parameters above. http://mathworld.wolfram.com/MercatorProjection.html

        Let us know if you succeed in getting the VE WMS overlay working

Thanks
Randy