That URL and bounding box work fine for me, using this code
https://gitlab.com/snippets/1700238

If it fetches the whole world it is possible you are not setting the bounds
of your map viewport, so you may need to add something like (where content
is your MapContent):

    content.getViewport().setCoordinateReferenceSystem(crs);
    content.getViewport().setBounds(bbox);

Ian

On 22 February 2018 at 03:11, Andrea Mari <andrea.m...@niwa.co.nz> wrote:

> Hello all,
>

> I’m trying to get a subset of the WGS84 map from a server but it doesn’t
> work the way I expect.
>
> It just keeps showing the whole world
>

> What am I doing wrong?
>

>   MultithreadedHttpClient httpClient = new MultithreadedHttpClient();
>
>   httpClient.setReadTimeout(timeout);
>
>   httpClient.setConnectTimeout(timeout);
>
>   WebMapServer wms = new WebMapServer(new URL(serviceUrl), httpClient);
>
>   WMSCapabilities capabilities = wms.getCapabilities();
>
>   List<org.geotools.data.ows.Layer> layers = capabilities.getLayerList();
>
>   defaultWMSLayer = GeoToolsUtils.getDefaultWMSLayer(layers);
>
>   wmsLayer = new RSWMSLayer(wms, defaultWMSLayer);
>

>   GetMapRequest getMapRequest = wms.createGetMapRequest();
>
>   getMapRequest.addLayer(defaultWMSLayer);
>
>   getMapRequest.setBBox("162,-24,175,-13");
>
>   getMapRequest.setDimensions(mapPane.getSize());
>
>   getMapRequest.setFormat("image/png");
>
>   getMapRequest.setSRS("CRS:" + CRS.toSRS(crs));
>

>   wmsLayer.setTitle(defaultWMSLayer.getTitle());
>
>   map.layers().add(0, wmsLayer);
>

> serviceUrl =http://ows.terrestris.de/osm/service?SERVICE=WMS&VERSION=1.
> 1.1&REQUEST=GetCapabilities
>
> ("162,-24,175,-13") these are the coordinates in WGS84 to get a map of
> most of the Pacific Islands
>

> Thank you very much for your help
>
> Andrea

Ian Turton