Dear Jessica and all,

Dave Ciplet (now at UC-Boulder) did this simulation in our Power, Justice
and Climate Change class in 2013 and we've both done it since a couple
times. It pits NGOs against each other in the search for (a fictitious)
foundation funding. This is the reality, sadly, for environmental NGOs,
and/but the work gets the students diving into what their group is doing.
You can have students work in pairs or threesomes in drafting these 2-3
page proposals, which they summarize for the class, and then one group is
the funding agency who determines which to fund. We have used contrasting
types of groups, like Greenpeace, Oxfam, Nature Conservancy, some small and
grassroots and EJ or Climate Justice groups, and so on. This is for a twice
a week class, so they have 1-2 days prep beforehand to peruse the groups'
websites. he has cooked up a shorter version for times without the advance
prep.

Total credit goes to Dave for this awesome activity.

Best,
Timmons

*Roberts Foundation Sustainable Development Guidelines*

MISSION STATEMENT AND PROGRAMS

Founded in 2013, the Roberts Foundation advances social change that
contributes to a more just, sustainable, and peaceful world. Our
grantmaking is organized around three themes: Democratic Practice,
Peacebuilding, and Sustainable Development. Though the Fund pursues its
three program interests in a variety of geographic contexts, it has
identified several specific locations on which to concentrate
cross-programmatic attention. The Fund refers to these as " pivotal
places": subnational areas, nation-states, or cross-border regions that
have special importance with regard to the Foundation’s substantive
concerns and whose future will have disproportionate significance for the
future of a surrounding region, an ecosystem, or the world. Discerning and
communicating the impact of our grantmaking and other program activities
are essential to fulfilling our mission and commitment to stewardship,
transparency, and accountability. The Foundation carefully monitors
performance—both institutional effectiveness and program impact.

SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT GUIDELINES

Human activity is causing climate change, rapid loss of biodiversity, and
accelerating degradation of Earth’s life support systems. These
developments threaten the livelihoods, health, and security of people in
all nations and cultures as well as the well-being of the greater community
of life.

The Roberts Foundation’s sustainable development grantmaking endeavors to
address these challenges by supporting development that meets the needs of
the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet
their own needs. The program supports global stewardship that is
ecologically based, economically sound, socially just, culturally
appropriate, and consistent with intergenerational equity. The Foundation
encourages government, business, and civil society to work collaboratively
on climate change, to acknowledge the moral and ethical consequences of
inaction, and to make it an integral part of all development planning and
activity. Recognizing the global nature of many environmental problems, the
Fund also promotes international cooperation in addressing these challenges.

The Sustainable Development program maintains a significant focus on the
United States in light of its disproportionate impact on the global
economy, politics, and the environment. The Foundation’s Global Governance
portfolio supports broad participation in forging the international
agreements and institutional arrangements needed to encourage investment in
sustainable development. Foundation staff work to ensure that global
developments inform work in specific places and that locally grounded
efforts generate lessons and innovations needed for global impact.

With the recognition that the impact of unchecked climate change threatens
all other conservation efforts, the Sustainable Development program focuses
its U.S. grantmaking on building a green economy at the federal, state, and
local levels.

*Goal: Advancing Solutions to Climate Change*

*Strategies:*

•    Building public and policymaker understanding and support for a range
of actions to address the threat of climate change.

•    Supporting implementation efforts to build a clean energy economy at
the federal, state, and local levels.

•    Supporting efforts to reduce reliance on carbon-intensive energy
sources.

•    Supporting targeted efforts to advance international progress on
climate change.

REQUEST FOR PROPOSAL:

Given the strengths, strategies and missions of your organization, please
submit a three-page (single space) proposal for grant funding to advance
solutions to climate change. We have a budget of $5 million dollars that we
are seeking to allocate for 2014 to best achieve this goal and related
strategies. We anticipate dividing up this funding among a handful of
organizations. Please include in your proposal a statement of your mission,
how you understand the roots of the climate problem and the necessary
solutions, relevant recent accomplishments of your organization, your
strategies and plan of action for using the funding, why you think your
approach is a good fit with our foundation, and how you will evaluate
whether you have achieved success. Please include a specific dollar amount
that you are requesting, and a rough budget of how the funding will be used
(specific projects and activities, staffing needs, overhead, etc.). Please
include your organization’s total annual revenue and expenses. Be prepared
to give a 5-minute pitch to our Foundation’s Executive Board about the
merits of your proposal.

On Thu, Aug 4, 2016 at 6:38 AM, Dabelko, Geoffrey <dabel...@ohio.edu> wrote:

> Jessica,
>

> In an environmental leadership class, I’ve found good engagement from
> focusing on the Goldman Prize winners. For reasonably sized classes I
> assign each student one year of award winners to review.  The Goldman
> website has short overviews of each winner organized by year, their
> acceptance speeches, and short videos about them). Depending on class size,
> I have them write short strength/weaknesses pieces and/or pick one to
> feature in a short presentation to the class (and if time allows, we watch
> a couple of the short profile videos).
>

> To provide some overview structure, I assign the piece Jeff Langholz and a
> number of his students did analyzing a couple of decades of Goldman
> winners. Their breakdown of strategies adopted varying by environmental
> issue, form of government, etc gives some sense of patterns and a macro
> view. It provides them some insight on the need to adopt different
> strategies depending on situation.
>

> Given the award winners include a North American each year but is
> otherwise internationally focused, it also provides some easier bridges to
> the international for students who typically have focused domestically.
>

> Best,
>
> Geoff
>

> Geoff Dabelko
>
> Professor and Director, Environmental Studies Program
>
> Voinovich School of Leadership and Public Affairs
>
> The Ridges, Bldg 22 Rm 119
>
> 1 Ohio University
>
> Athens, OH 45701 USA
>
> T: 740-593-2117
>
> dabel...@ohio.edu
>
> www.ohio.edu/environmentalstudies
>
> www.facebook.com/OhioES
>
> www.twitter.com/OhioES
>
> www.twitter.com/geoffdabelko
>

> Senior Advisor, Environmental Change and Security Program
>
> Woodrow Wilson Center, Washington, DC
>
> www.wilsoncenter.org/ecsp
>
> www.newsecuritybeat.org

Timmons
www.climatedevlab.brown.edu
Collaboration|Impact|Mentorship|Sustainability|Justice

Just out June 2016: *The Globalization and Environment Reader*. Peter
Newell and Timmons Roberts.
http://www.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-1118964136.html

J. Timmons Roberts
Ittleson Professor of Environmental Studies and Sociology
Brown University
https://vivo.brown.edu/display/jr17
Non-Resident Senior Fellow, Brookings Institution, 2012-14
http://www.brookings.edu/experts/robertst
Co-Director, The Climate and Development Lab:
http://www.climatedevlab.brown.edu
timm...@brown.edu; skype: timmonsroberts; on Twitter @timmonsroberts