To paraphrase Monty Python: "UNEP, UNEP, UNEP!  There, I said it!"

Sorry, couldn't resist.  All I've ever heard over the whole period in
UNFCCC circles is UNEP.

Timmons

On Wed, Dec 5, 2018 at 1:27 PM Wendy Jackson <wendy.jack...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Kia ora all,
>
> This is what I heard from a UNEP staff member of 25 years, currently
> working in an outposted office. It supports what Jonathan Krueger and Ken
> Conca have said already:
>
> "The term UN Environment was brought in by Erik Solheim, the Executive
> Director (ED) who joined in 2016 and resigned last month under a cloud.
>
> UN headquarters has never accepted the term UN Environment, nor did the
> UNEP governing body, the United Nations Environment Assembly. Any
> correspondence from the UN Secretary General's office only ever mentions
> United Nations Environment Programme or UNEP, never UN Environment. The day
> the ED resigned many of us gleefully returned to using UNEP.  We hope that
> the incoming ED will revert to using the legally mandated and well-liked
> names."
>
> All good wishes,
> Wendy Jackson
>

> On Thu, Dec 6, 2018 at 2:25 AM Ken Conca <co...@american.edu> wrote:
>
>> The name is now UN Environment but they still use the acronym UNEP (see
>> for example the just-released 2018 Emissions Gap report:
>> https://www.unenvironment.org/resources/emissions-gap-report-2018 --in
>> which the official/recommended citation is UNEP as author). In my
>> experience the goal is to get people saying UN Environment, and staff will
>> do so in presentations, press releases, etc, but UNEP is still in wide
>> conversational use. Some folks on this list will recall all the gymnastics
>> around IUCN name changes over the years, while preserving the acronym ...kc

Timmons Roberts @timmonsroberts
Ittleson Professor of Environmental Studies and Sociology
Director, the Climate and Development Lab www.climatedevlab.brown.edu
Brown University https://vivo.brown.edu/display/jr17
Non-Resident Senior Fellow, Brookings Institution
http://www.brookings.edu/experts/robertst