On Thu Jan 10 08:38:45 GMT 2019, David Lake wrote:

they use the same CDN providers as all the others -
Akamai, Limelight and Level 3.

I don't think Level3 is anymore in the picture;
as I recall, it was exclusively used for one of the FlashHD
tvmodes and L3-hosted streams were the first to be axed
when stream management was delegated to "Video Factory";
an Akamai-hosted FlashHD stream remained available
for quite a while afterwards, until someone at the beeb
belatedly pulled the plug on it, as well as on the Akamai-hosted
"legacy" HlsHD streams (effectively killing all sources for
the 720p25 TV mode :-( ).

And apart from commercial Akamai+Limelight CDNs,
BBC manages its own BIDI CDN, for clients within the UK:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/internet/entries/8c6c2414-df7a-4ad7-bd2e-dbe481da3633

A quite interesting source of BBC iPlayer related
tech info (aimed mostly at coders) is

https://iplayer.engineering/

From there, certainly worth reading:

https://iplayer.engineering/the-tech-stack-that-powers-bbc-iplayer-471575318e2a