On Mon Jun 24 16:19:00 BST 2019, MacFH - C E Macfarlane wrote:

with someone on XP being unable
to run newer versions of  GiP.

I haven't myself tried to run the latest Windows installer on either XP or Vista; my guess is it would run to completion, successfully installing the application
under those OSes...

See Wiki notes:

https://github.com/get-iplayer/get_iplayer/wiki/windows#before-you-begin

Latest installer bundles a 32-bit binary of FFmpeg 4.1.1, compiled by Zeranoe... That executable won't run in either XP or Vista and has to be replaced with a compatible compile...
FFmpeg vanilla code has dropped XP support in branch 4.x.x,
but remains Vista compatible; the reason 4.1.1 won't launch under Vista is
mainly because third party library libx265 (video encoder)
has been configured with NUMA (Non-Uniform Memory Access) support,
a feature absent under Vista+XP:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/procthread/numa-support

Windows Server 2008, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2003
and Windows XP: Processor groups are not supported.

Finding a recent XP and/or Vista compatible FFmpeg binary is not easy;
XP die-hards do offer some builds, one has to know where to look for them; e.g.

http://blog.k-tai-douga.com/category/359294-1.html

https://sourceforge.net/projects/mplayer-win32/files/FFmpeg/

https://rwijnsma.home.xs4all.nl/files/ffmpeg/

Vista (but not XP) compatible, automated, daily builds:

https://jenkins.maeyanie.com/job/ffmpeg/

However, in the context of GiP one doesn't need the
most up-to-date code, because, as already told by others,
the ffmpeg binary inside GiP doesn't access the web but
is normally solely used for (off-line) remuxing purposes;
that part of the code is mature enough in the last XP (v3.0)
and Vista (v3.0.1) compatible binaries available in the VideoHelp archive:

https://www.videohelp.com/software/ffmpeg/old-versions#downloadold

Greetings