On 05/09/2019 10:34, Jeremy Nicoll - ml gip wrote:
On 2019-09-05 09:59, Jim web wrote:

I'm using FF in the standard version current for Linux Mint xfce LTS. I've turned off all the things I regard as 'snoopy', but not made other changes
to FF beyond tweaking the scaling and using my own home page listing the
URLs I use a lot.

And what version is that?  I'd expect: Help -> About Firefox    to say.

It might be worth creating a new FF profile and trying to run it in 'safe
mode' - which I hope would mean it would run with a totally default setup,
to see if the problem persists.

I have a dual boot machine running kubuntu 1804 LTS and Windows 10 Home 1809. They were both running Firefox 68.0.2 although kubuntu has since updated to 69.0. Both behave in the same way. It seems the answer is that if you want Change location to work you have to go to

https://www.bbc.co.uk/usingthebbc/cookies/how-can-i-change-my-bbc-cookie-settings/

and set Functional cookies to On.

If it is set to Off the region seems to default to London.

If you look at the lists of cookies, the Strictly necessary cookies seem to me to be far more intrusive than the Functional cookies. When I realised that the cookie settings were causing this problem, I was puzzled that weather locations seemed to be being stored with Functional cookies turned off. The answer is that WEATHER is a Strictly necessary cookie which can store up to 8 weather locations.

The relevant Functional cookie for region setting seems to be

ckps_tap_​explicit

Stores parental guidance settings, favourited content (for non-signed in users), content consumption information (for non-signed in users), previous search terms, region setting, media quality setting, subtitle setting, beta mode setting, information on promotional banners seen and settings used in the delivery and development of BBC services on TVs.