> OK I am running a standard Apple PowerPC G400 with an ATI Rage card (AGP).
> Here is proc/pci and the systeminfo output from KGIcon:

machine         : PowerMac3,1
motherboard     : PowerMac3,1 MacRISC Power Macintosh
pmac-generation : NewWorld

[PCI]
PCI devices found:
  Bus  0, device  16, function  0:
    VGA compatible controller: ATI Unknown device (rev 0).
      Vendor id=1002. Device id=5046.
      Medium devsel.  Fast back-to-back capable.  IRQ 48.  Master Capable.  Late
ncy=255.  Min Gnt=8.
      Prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0x94000000 [0x94000008].
      I/O at 0x400 [0x401].
      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0x90000000 [0x90000000].

# Kernel Setup:
[VERSION]
Linux version 2.2.15pre17 (root@ppc) (gcc version egcs-2.91.66 19990314 (egcs-1.
1.2 release)) #18 Tue Apr 18 01:29:37 NZST 2000

> KGIcon auto config also doesn't work

Yes - it wouldn't help anyway. We do not have drivers for the ATI Rage.

> and vga/ncvga drivers don't compile.

Oh - that's bad. Maybe we need to adjust for PowerPC. Could you send more
details on this ?

> Am I better advised to try and get FBCon or KGIcon going under the
> circumstances?

What you are trying is kgicon. Maybe you are hinting at Steffen's "real
KGI" ? That isn't a good idea for that chipset right now.

I don't know, if the kernel has native drivers for the Rage ...
You might want to try:
Open Firmware frame buffer device support - CONFIG_FB_OF
but I'm not sure, if that would work. I don't think the VESAfb would
work on anything but x86.

> I might also try a different graphics card under KGIcon, but I would
> appreciate any help you are able to give me to get GGI going on PPC
> under any framebuffer device.

KGIcon is running fine here on a Permedia2 based board on x86. The driver is
designed for running on PPC and similar, so that might work. However you'll
have a hard time getting such an old card today ...

CU, ANdy

--
= Andreas Beck                    |  Email :  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> =