On Jan 11, 2012, at 12:16 AM, Martin Strubel wrote:

> I've run some of the code through Doxygen, see Doxyfile at
>
> http://section5.ch/files/ghdl.Doxyfile.gz
>
> Just copy to ghdl source tree, gunzip, rename to Doxyfile, run "doxygen".
> There's some abuse going on by mapping .adb files to VHDL code, so far
> it does not seem to make doxygen choke, but I don't know if it's fully
> parsed, either.
>
> Probably some of the options can be tweaked to produce better results. I
> just used it to quickly get a cross reference.
>
> So the next job could be to do a git based fork and start the
> documentation project. Someone (with more GHDL experience) willing to
> take the hat or the seashell?

I tried it  out, even modifying your ghdl.Doxyfile a bit (e.g. adding .ads
files as Vhdl types) the results weren't good enough for someone to learn to
navigate throught  ghdl source code.

You can do better with the source code and Appendix B of the Gnat User's Guide.
 Having gotten part way in by hand previously  I couldn't trace my way through
the produced html even with a road map.  The issue being the vhdl parser for it
isn't compliant enough.  Try to trace your way from ada_main.  In the specific
case it looked like it had trouble with procedure declarations found in side a
function declarative region.  VHDL dannae have such  structures (commonly, it's
defined in VHDL-2008, rarer than hen's teeth and the vhdl parser for doxygen is
obviously not compliant).  A quick look at the vhdl scanner and code generator
shows VHDL accounts for 28,000+ lines of code, saying deriving an acceptable
Ada parser from it might be be an undertaking.

Does anyone have any experience with Adabrowse?