Come to think of it, I've changed my mind, and agree with making
transparent the default action. My reason is this:

When I was teaching Photoshop at University, I tried to think of a good
physical paradigm for explaining how layers work to people who always
worked on a single layer for fear of messing with the layers.

I wound up stealing some transparencies from an overhead projector and
using each transparency sheet to show everyone a real-world example to
demystify the rather abstract notion that flat images can be
separated/layered in Photoshop. That worked extremely well, and have since
used it to teach several friends and a few workmates the same concept. Now,
admittedly, I could have inserted a white bit of paper in there to
represent a white layer, but maybe that's a bit too much extra info, or
actually irrelevant, since it's obvious you can fill an entire layer with a
colour to achieve the same effect. In short, hiding the dialogue may aid
first-time user of layers, and prevent them from producing confusing layers
(like layers with no alpha-channel, for example). In fact, unless there is
some awesome reason for having new layers with no alpha channel, I'd
recommend against it. There is nothing more confusing than a "special"
layer that doesn't behave like every other layer, and there is no
indication at all why the eraser tool isn't working as it should, and
erasing to transparency. Photoshop solves this by making the bottom layer
by default with no alpha channel, and making every new layer transparent. I
think this is a decent way of handling it. What I really hate is that the
default for dragging new images into GIMP is creating new layers with no
alpha channel. Typically, if I'm dragging in files, I'm making a collage
where I will immediately erase the background out of each new layer in the
image. Invariably, I forget to manually add alpha channel to each layer
(It's a pain++ to have to do that). Mercifully, when you add a layer mask
to a new layer, it automatically adds an alpha channel, so again, it's not
that big of a deal since I've changed to non-destructive editing methods.
For users that don't like masks everywhere, it's going to be 10x more
frustrating, though. Again, we could just set the default to have an alpha
channel, and then people can remove it later if they really don't want it.
They could also just paint/fill over it, and accept that every layer has an
alpha channel as well.

Thoughts?