On 08/21/2016 06:01 AM, Owen Cook wrote:
I noticed in the latest git a lot of stuff which suggests that gimp should open
webp, and export to webp.

Is this correct, and if so how do you activate it. Currently I get "Unknown file
type" on opening, and webp is not in the list of export formats.

On a possibly related note, libwebp-0.4.2 is installed on my system (Gentoo Linux), but when configuring GIMP this message is printed to the terminal: WebP: no (WebP not found)

Thinking 0.4.2 might be too old, I downloaded libwebp-0.5.1 from https://developers.google.com/speed/webp/docs/compiling#building, and installed it in /usr/local, and then re-installed babl/gegl/libmypaint/gimp starting from "./autogen.sh". But GIMP still isn't finding WebP. GEGL finds WebP, but GIMP doesn't.

Is there some other library that might be required before GIMP can find WebP on the system? Or a magic command that says "look here"?

Best,
Elle

In case it's relevant, here's the configuration summary from compiling libwebp-0.5.1:

WebP Configuration Summary
--------------------------

Shared libraries: yes
Static libraries: yes