Message: 1
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2016 15:26:57 -0400
From: Elle Stone <>
Subject: Re: [Gimp-developer] webp format?

Ben, thanks! I finally got GIMP to compile with webp support.
You're welcome and good :)
Originally I had installed libwebp in /usr/local, without the
above-listed options. But even after enabling the above-listed options
and reinstalling, GIMP wouldn't compile - the build would fail when it
got to the webp-save code, with the following terminal output:

file-webp-save.o: In function `WebPAnimEncoderOptionsInit':
/usr/local/include/webp/mux.h:454: undefined reference to
file-webp-save.o: In function `save_animation':
build/gimp/plug-ins/file-webp/file-webp-save.c:494: undefined reference
to `WebPAnimEncoderAdd'
build/gimp/plug-ins/file-webp/file-webp-save.c:512: undefined reference
to `WebPAnimEncoderAdd'
build/gimp/plug-ins/file-webp/file-webp-save.c:514: undefined reference
to `WebPAnimEncoderAssemble'
build/gimp/plug-ins/file-webp/file-webp-save.c:551: undefined reference
to `WebPAnimEncoderDelete'
build/gimp/plug-ins/file-webp/file-webp-save.c:516: undefined reference
to `WebPAnimEncoderGetError'
file-webp-save.o: In function `WebPAnimEncoderNew':
/usr/local/include/webp/mux.h:471: undefined reference to

Uninstalling libwebp from /usr/local and installing it directly in the
prefix in which GIMP is built allowed the build to finish, and now GIMP
indeed can open and save webp files.

Does anyone know why GIMP couldn't find WebPAnimEncoder when libwebp was
installed in /usr/local? Maybe I needed to tell GIMP to include
/usr/local/lib or some such? Maybe something like this?
export PKG_CONFIG_PATH="$PKG_CONFIG_PATH:/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig"

I never noticed because my .bashrc includes custom paths set for
didn't pick them up. I usually add the custom path prior to appending
the variable back on itself though not that it should make much of
a difference in most instances unless it was finding another older
version prior in the search path.

What i usually do:

export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig:$PKG_CONFIG_PATH

gimp-developer-list mailing list