Hi,

Federico Mena Quintero <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I think the bigger problem is that the first thing you see when you
> start up the GMP for the first time is a big ugly BRIGHT ORANGE
> window.

I like it very much, but of course I'm a little biased here.

> That window, aside from being prettified, should tell you something
> like
>
>       The GIMP needs to install some configuration files for you
>       before it can be run for the first time.  Click on "continue"
>       to perform the GIMP user installation or "cancel" to exit.
>
>       The GIMP is free software, is distributed under the GNU
>       General Public License, and comes with absolutely no warranty.
>       Please click on the "license" button to get more information.

good point, will go into 1.4.

> > 2. The current second dialog box shows a full list of files and directories
> >    that most users will never care about at first. Maybe we should add an
> >    indication that knowing all about this is not necessary to use Gimp?
>
> This dialog is completely unnecessary.  As a user, I don't care where
> the GIMP installs its ~/.foo.  I just want to be able to run the
> program.
>
> Also, it is bad that you have to know that ~/.gimp exists and that you
> may need to hand-tweak the stuff in there.  Everything should be
> configurable through a nice graphical interface; if you need to
> install third-party plug-ins or scripts or gradients then the GIMP
> should have an "install plug-in" command.  This command can simply
> copy a binary into your ~/.gimp/plug-ins.

No, some people want to be able to hand-tweak stuff using an editor.
That's why we have user-readable config files. Apart from that everything
important is indeed configurable through the prefs. But I have to admit
that it's probably a bit too much information for a user installation
dialog. But I like the way we managed to integrate all the info from
the 1.0 installation dialog into this page on the new one ;-)

> Completely agreed.  This looks like a case of "we are too lazy to
> think of how our system calls may fail, so we'll run a shell script
> and have the user figure it out".

Yes we are too lazy and are waiting for patches.

> N.B. I just erased my ~/.gimp-1.2 and re-ran it.  I got
>
>       cp /etc/gimp/1.2/gtkrc_user /home/federico/.gimp-1.2/gtkrc
>       cp: /etc/gimp/1.2/gtkrc_user: No such file or directory
>
> (because I have /etc/gimp/1.2/gtkrc instead of gtkrc_user).

Then you or more likely the packager of your gimp version did something
wrong since the file $prefix/gimp/1.2/gtkrc_user should exist.

> > 5. The resolution thing is OK.
>
> Mostly.  It would be better if it were something like
>
>       The GIMP needs to know the resolution of your monitor so that
>       images will be displayed at the proper size.
>
>       [X] Use the resolution suggested by the system (75x75 dots per inch).
>
>       [ ] Use the resolution I specify:
>
>               Horizontal resolution: [____]    [pixels per parsec]
>               Vertical resolution:   [____]
>
>       [ ] Let me determine my monitor resolution interactively.

I'm confused. That's how the dialog looks like.

> The first option should be selected by default.  These days most smart
> X servers are able to use information obtained from the monitor at
> boot-up or at some other time.  This is of course the Right(tm) value
> unless the user is doing something fantastically stupid.

I have not yet seen one X-Server giving a close to correct value here
unless you manually tell it the correct value on start-up.

Salut, Sven