I just had a look at the two plug-ins for fun of it and they
doing part of the problem differently, which means that the perl
program looks more complicated than necessarry. The
scheme plugin uses the plug-in plug-in-colors-channel-mixer to
do the actual color mixing, whereas the perl plug-in accesses the
pixels itself. Accessing pixels always gets dirty, because of the tile
based approach of gimp. Actually, I think that Marc Lehmann's use
of PDL for the job is very elegant. But I'm sure that it can be
confusing to have to learn another huge sublanguage (which PDL
is).

So if you want to compare syntax, please compare the same approach
in the different languages.

I'm curious, does the python plug-in allow you to access the
pixels?

Regards,
Dov

On Mon, Jun 16, 2003 at 02:04:52AM -0400, Carol Spears wrote:
> On 2003-06-15 at 2031.16 -0700, Jeff Trefftzs typed this:
> >
> > Debugging:  you might try firing up the script-fu console in the GIMP
> > and testing code snippets there.  I've found this to work fairly well.
> > My main problem is getting my head back into lisp space ...
> >
> Eeek!
>
> Jeff, just say no!
>
> all three versions of gimp i have used, 1.0 1.2 and 1.3 have a nifty
> python plug-in complete with browser and console as well.
>
> today i read two plug-ins for red-eye removal.  the script-fu just
> looked like gibberish:
> http://cs.uhh.hawaii.edu/~jeschke/photography/articles/gimp/RedEye2/red-eye.scm
>
> this one. this was the saddest thing i ever read.  i never want to read
> something this sad again.  please.  it is not the authors fault.  it is
> not the fault of the person who ported gimp to it.  nor the gtk guy that
> did it.  not the original authors of this scripting language either. i
> don't know why it is so sad.  you have to stop making me try to read this.
> mercy!
> http://fmg-www.cs.ucla.edu/fmg-members/geoff/digicam/redeye
>
> i would like to read it written in python.  it is direct and the modular
> part is starting to make sense to me.  it makes me angry (okay
> frustrated) not sad.  that is better.  please someone write this in
> python quick so we can compare before i forget!
>
> carol
>
> --
> The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up.

                                                        ___   ___
                                                      /  o  \   o \
Dov Grobgeld                                         ( o  o  ) o   |
The Weizmann Institute of Science, Israel             \  o  /o  o /
"Where the tree of wisdom carries oranges"              | |   | |