On Mon, 23 Jun 2003, Sven Neumann wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Nathan Carl Summers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> >> In short the approach (more info in bugzilla) :
> >> - Intercept every PDB call if a macro recorder instance is running.
> >
> > The cvs version of Libpdb already provides a flexible mechanism for
> > intercepting pdb calls.  I designed it with macro recording in mind.
>
> When I read this mail, an idea came to my mind that I hadn't thought
> of before. I'm bringing it up here for discussion:
>
> Is the PDB really the right place for a macro recorder? As a user I
> would expect it to be tightly coupled with the Undo system. I would
> want to be able to go back five steps and change the brush I used for
> that paint-stroke, then replay the actions I had performed so far.

You're absolutely right!  It seems to me that since we already have the
undo system in place, and it is called in all the right places, that that
would be a better place to put the macro recorder.

> But perhaps this just means that the Undo system needs to be hooked
> into the PDB as well ?!

That could be cool.  You could Undo a couple of times, change the source
image a bit, and then Redo, and the Redo would call all the appropriate
functions again.

> This would also avoid the mentioned problem with PDB functions called
> from plug-ins.

True, although it's really not that hard to implement a call depth
tracker.

Rockwalrus