Hi Sven,

On Monday 28 July 2003 4:55 pm, Sven Neumann wrote:

> Could you please explain what's so painful about it? Almost all
> distributions include packages for it for quite some time already and
> even compiling from source is pretty much straight-forward.

OK, maybe "painful" was an exaggeration; really it was just time-consuming;
I'm using SuSE 8.0, and don't have -devel packages for even gtk+-1.2 packages
on the original CDs.

The point I was trying to make was that needing full devel packages for all of
the GTK2 stuff, including Pango-FT2 (and hence FreeType itself and
Xft2/FontConfig) does constitute a barrier-to-entry (especially with a 56K
dialup net connection), and is not something I'd go through just to play with
the latest version of one particular app.

Doing it for a specific purpose (i.e. adapting my patch for the latest version
of GIMP) is a different matter entirely, but in the first instance a patch
will be developed because someone saw a need in a piece of software they were
using - and in most cases that will be the Stable version.  The release of
2.0 will make a big difference, because binary packages will become standard
in distributions, so people will be using 2.0 when they recognise a
particular need...

> Please note that during the 1.3 development process we did never
> depend on the very latest versions of the required libraries. We
> always assured that even debian testing which is a very conservative
> distribution has the packages available that are needed to build
> GIMP-1.3. If we decided to change our dependencies to a newer version,
> we always checked if this is really necessary.

Yes, I wasn't complaining of bleeding-edge requirements as such - merely
attempting to explain a phenomenon that had been noted, and to which I had
contributed :)

Ultimately though, GTK2 build environments are still not as common as GTK1
build environments, so for many people, building the stable version is less

All the best,
Alastair M. Robinson

Amount of pizza eaten each day in the U.S.: 75 acres.  -- "Harper's Magazine"