On Fri, Aug 15, 2003 at 03:22:54PM +0200, Raphaël Quinet wrote:

> I'd rather have some kind of archive format.  If we want to replace an
> element in the archive by another one that is larger, we can append the
> larger one at the end of the archive, update the index and leave some
> unused bits in the middle.  That would not waste more space than the
> filesystem idea.  In both cases, we could have an option for
> defragmenting the file if we do not want to waste space with unused bits
> or unused sectors.  Or we simply re-create a "clean" file when using the
> "Save As" option.  This is exactly what is done by several software
> packages, including MS Office.

I want a new Preferences option in that case:
  [ ] Enable quick-save

BTW: Would it be possible to get a sparse file by zeroing the unused
bits? Then it would be quite space efficient (at least with some file
systems).

Bye, Tino.

--
             * LINUX - Where do you want to be tomorrow? *
                  http://www.tu-chemnitz.de/linux/tag/