On Thursday 16 June 2005 04:23, Giles wrote:
> The parts of the process that would need to be recreated in Gimp
> plugins follow:

> - adding paint - essentially localized spraying/spotting (different
> size of dots, not perfect circles, random scatter)
>   - some way to vary brush size (ie amount of paint, size of dots)
>   - needs wrap
>   - since it's paint on size (a form of paste on top of the water),
> it needs to _push_ other dots rather than just overlaying them
> - combing (or single stylus)
>   - I would like wrap, stroke path, and by hand
>   - specialized combs - boquet comb in particular, two rows of
> alternating teeth
>   - again, the way it pulls the paint should mimic the physical world
> - shaking the tray
> - blowing on it as with suminagashi (http://www.suminagashi.com/ -
> this process isn't a priority for me)

> So, questions: is anyone interested in working on this?

I'd be interested in seeing it happen, but have very little time and
approximately zero ability with "real world" artistic media.

My wife used to use a graphics package under MS-Windows 3.x a decade or
two ago, which had been ported from the Mac. The package (name eludes
me) understood how things like charcoal, chalk and watercolours were
supposed to work (crumbliness, spatter, the way things tend to slide
rather than stick as the force goes up (and eventually crush),
brush-hair lines in the paint trail, the ability to _twist_ the
applicator, that kind of thing). Simply recreating that ability would
be a very noble goal and would bring a phalanx of artists aboard GIMP
starting the day after it was released, no worries.

Of course, since GIMP has layers and the original did not, you could
assign arty values to specific layers such as viscosity, dryness,
absorbancy, graininess and various kinds of "alpha" such as
being-pushed-around-alpha, influencing-the-texture-alpha, perhaps
being-wet-alpha, so you could do things like paint onto a "silk screen"
or "flywire" and then remove the screen, leaving the grid and the
brush-hair-tip flicks and so on behind, or simulate the effect of
varying "absorbency texture" (think of a half-dried leaf, which absorbs
more of the pigment in the thinner areas) on a "wet" paintbrush.

I'd be interested in adding USD$50 to a bounty for any significant part
of that - more if I had it, I think the original package was worth
~AUD$1200 at the time. (-: /ME dreams of clicking "Layer -> Physics ->
Thin Wet Oil Paint on Galvanised Iron" or "L->P-> Burnt Stick on Rammed
Earth", or drawing with sky-blue charcoal :-)

Cheers; Leon

http://linux.org.au/            Member, Linux Australia