On Thursday 28 July 2005 10:36, Dag Rune Sneeggen wrote:
> Was indeed a thinko, plus its 4am in the night here in Norway! ;)

10:48 on Thu 28Jul here in Perth, Western Australia.

> What do you mean by making it build rpms etc?

If it can build the plugin, it can probably spit out a .spec file
and .tar.gz of the source without much extra effort. These can then be
wrapped into a .src.rpm to be rebuilt to produce binaries for the
different architectures and distribution versions. It's been a long
time since I built a .deb package, but I don't remember it being any
harder.

The advantage for the Linux (FreeBSD, Hurd, OS X, whatever) distribution
is that a GIMP plugin can be packaged with a one-liner, so it's more
likely to be included in that distribution and been seen by the end
user.

The advantage for the end user is exactly what your progress so far is
obviously already aiming to do: simplify the installation of plugins.

If the plugins are part of the distro's packaging system, they'll appear
in the software manager (RPMdrake, YaST, Cervisia, whatever) and can be
installed with one click.

Even if they're not in a distro's packaging system, third parties can
offer pre-built one-click-and-you're-done packages, which means that a
non-technical user has a hope of getting a working plugin installed.

For an example of a "third party" in operation, consider the Penguin
Liberation Front's (http://plf.zarb.org/) relationship to Mandriva
Linux (http://www.mandrivalinux.com/).

All of the above goes for MS-Windows when it eventually "innovates" a
real packaging system of it own.

Cheers; Leon

http://linux.org.au/            Member, Linux Australia