On 8/5/05, Axel Philipsenburg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Michael mentioned that Gimp Plug-Ins might not be able to allow further
> manipulation to the image while running because they hog the dialog focus.

I guess I should have mentioned I wasn't 100% sure with this.
However, I will note, on my 2.4 GHz Intel Celeron, it has been nearly
impossible for me to multitask when running a plugin (they're too CPU
intensive) -- and OpenGL wouldn't be feisable for me either because I
don't have a high-end graphics card.  That said, most people who would
use this kind of plugin, I'd assume, wouldn't use this kind of low-end
system anyways (if I want to wrap an image around an object, I'll use
POV-Ray and raytrace it anyways; so there is no such thing as a
real-time preview to me regardless of rendering method, and I know how
to use POV-Ray).

> If that's truely the case, then the plug-in approach on this tool seems doomed
> anyway. There is not much sense if you need to call the plug-in from a menu
> everytime you changed the texture somewhat.

I don't see why I can't float the plug-in's menu and keep clicking the
button though.

I still wonder how you're gonna export the data to OpenGL, and what
happens if something goes wrong.  How will you handle OpenGL's
settings, etc... so maybe moving this elsewhere is an idea.  What
about as a seperate utility? [e.g. Use a filename with e.g. a png or
xcf file and load, then open a window with a preview, setting OpenGL
settings and the image's filename in it -- when I want an update, I'll
save my image in GIMP, and click a button in the app which will update
the preview.]

Good luck with your project, should you continue to persue it.

--
~Mike
 - Just my two cents