whoops, I don't understand Gmail's reply system, and accidentally sent this to Sven only instead of the list.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: David Gowers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mar 12, 2006 11:49 AM
Subject: Re: [Gimp-developer] help needed with menu tooltips
To: Sven Neumann <[EMAIL PROTECTED] >

On 3/12/06, Sven Neumann < [EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

them need to be reviewed. Currently most blurbs are oriented towards a
developer who wants to use the procedure from a script. The blurbs use
terms such as "drawable" which must not show up in the UI. Other

Is there any less obscure term?  Most of the filters, if they work on a layer, also work on a channel (the color related ones being the main exception). Is 'layer / channel' an acceptable substitute?

We should try to find a consistent style for the descriptions. They
should be short enough to fit into the statusbar of a medium-sized
image window. The description should not duplicate the menu label but

I have no idea how big a medium-sized image window is (or for that matter a medium sized image). I really appreciate the usability improvement that will come out of this. So (being a native speaker of english, insofar as it can be anyone's native language) I'm happy to help with rewriting the blurbs.

Any volunteers for this job? You will need to work with the CVS
version but you do not necessarily have to compile the code (but it

At the moment I access the net via proxy, so I can't use CVS directly. rsyncing from the proxy should work okay though.

probably helps a lot to do that). I will try to help as much as
possible but I would really welcome some help with this. Especially
since I am not a native speaker and this task is a lot about finding
the right words.

I'd like to finish off bug #130123 first (get it to a state where I know the patch is acceptable and it's just waiting to be committed), then I will be happy to work on this.
(message follows.)