Sven mention on irc the issue of choosing what the default setup for 2.4
should be. So here are some of my thoughts:
1. In the toolbox, the fg/bg color, and brush/patter/gradient boxes
should be on.
2. Add color selector and palette dialogs to the default "Layers,
Channels, Paths, Undo | Brushes, Patterns, Gradient" dialog that comes
3. Change the default image size (any particular reason it is 377x233?)
I'd suggest 1024x768
4. Don't show the devices dialog by default. It's a bit redundant with
#1, and only shows one device for most users.
5. It might be nice to have the stock round/square brushes be dynamic
brushes by default. (If I understand correctly, theres a small
concern that this might break some existing scripts?)
6. A wider selection of basic brushes would be good, especially with the
7. I'd like to see some high resolution brushes included, especially now
with brush downscaling being easy to get to.
8. Maybe some more examples of pixmap/hose brushes. I kind of hate that
green pepper and vine brush (and I made them...). Not sure what
exactly yet, but I have some ideas:
a. something that makes obvious use of the directional pipes
would be good.
b. Maybe a simple tube drawing brush
(aka, a rendered sphere with the spacing set to a low value)
c. Maybe a couple more (bigger) sizes of the Pencil Sketch
d. a wilber brush? (totally useless, but hey... it's wilber)
e. a series of flipped versions of the "Caligraphic Brush"
9. I'd turn on "Save Tool options on exit" by default. We have a "reset
to default" in the dialogs if someone wants to reset the tools.
10. Man, am I ever tired of those default pattern options. (Mostly
my fault unfortunately). They didn't age very well. Not sure
if we can do much about it without breaking scripts.
11. Ditto with the gradients, though we should probably add another
example or two of using the dynamic color stuff in gradients
Thats all that comes to mind at the moment.
Gimp-developer mailing list