Whenever I save an image as JPG, I have to move both the
Save_Image and the Save_as_JPEG dialog out of the way
to check the preview.

I think the Save_Image dialog should just disappear
after use, as both Cancel and Help are available on
the second dialog and what else would it be good for?

Then the Save_as_JPEG controls could appear on the image
window (inspired by the Firefox find bar) to further cut
down on window juggling.

There's quite a number of ways it could be organized, my
mockup shows just one:

Advanced options hide 'under' the expander. There could
be a button to bring them up in a dialog instead.

File size can be read in the statusbar.

I moved the buttons down there as it's the standard
location in dialogs and to take the place of the
progress Cancel button. Mouse-miles could be less
with the buttons in the new toolbar. They would
also be less likely to cause an expectation of
closing the window up there.

Thorsten Wilms

Thorwil's Creature Illustrations: