On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 00:54:56 +0100, D. Stimits <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Speculating about why it claimed it was out of memory, I'm wondering if
> the hard drive simply was too slow responding. It's a laptop, running
> with core duo, entirely in ram. The drive is thus much slower than the
> ability to consume ram. How does gimp determine that there is no space
> left on the device...is it a timeout in addition to other means?

I saw something a little like this recently. I cant document it thoroughly
but here's a resumé in case it's related.

I tried to open about eight multi-megabyte jpeg images in one open
operation not wanting to go through the labourious open dialogue eight
times and not noticing quite how big they were. I was half expecting some
error after a few were opened but expected error trapping to handle it
correctly.

What I ended up with was a completely unstable mess which I had to clean
up with xkill , restart the xserver and a bit of ps and kill to clean up
the residue.

Now this could be regarded as extreme conditions and represents a good
stress test. It seems running out of RAM and/or swap is not properly error
trapped.

I just throw this info in in case it relates the this script issue posted.

gg