Although I made the first suggestion of the direct download link in the
home page alla Mozilla, I can see why it would be problematic.
Maybe it would be better if the link with OS detection redirects to a
better organized and minimalistic download page, based on the
information of the browser and OS.
Then, in that download page, the user will read the information about
that specific package, and all the kinds of disclaimers needed.
If the locale of the browser is also readed by a proper script, that
page could show the download link of the localized help file, and could
list the most appropriate mirrors for that location.