> I think it's wise not to get too exited about browser sniffing.
> A typical problem is sites like google.com redirecting me to google.es
> just because I happen to be abroad.
> This is about as helpful as your > mate
> switching your mobile phone to Russian while you're not looking.
> The number of platforms supported is not going to scroll down two
> pages so lets not overdo the geeky "I can tell what browser you're
> using" routine.
>
> /my2c.

Well, that's your experience... I have no problems downloading a windows
binary from mozilla (for instance) because the browser detection is
accompanied by clear information about alternate procedures: right below
the download button suggested by the browser sniffing, there is an
"other systems and languages" link.
It's not a matter of being "too exited" with an "I can tell you"
routine: is about how smart you are using that routine, and if it gives
a plus to your site or not.
If it's used properly, it will give a benefit to the less experienced
user, if it's used "just because the hype", it will suck.
Let's try to be smart then... :-)