On Thu, 2007-04-26 at 18:27 -0300, Guillermo Espertino wrote:

> I think this is because the entire data is being redrawn regardless the
> zoom factor

That is a wrong assumption, only the visible area is being redrawn.

What's right though is that GIMP works with the image data in the
original resolution and doesn't cache a scaled down version (except for
the little thumbnail previews as used for example in the Layers dialog).
This will change as soon as we switch to GEGL. GEGL already uses a
system that deals much better with this. Just give it a try.