On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 19:28:13 +0200, Karine Delvare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> There was a 2006 Google Summer of Code project for this. If it had been
> completed, there would be a brush manager in GIMP 2.4, but it wasn't
> (the student is not to blame, he focused on something completely
> different instead).
>
> Maybe the same project can be proposed for the 2008 GSOC?

Side note regarding the Google Summer of Code: let's hope that we can
be selected in 2008.  Although we do not know the reasons why other
projects were selected instead of GIMP for GSoC 2007, it seems that
most GSoC projects focus on "quick wins".  It is likely that we could
improve our chances of being selected next year by working on the
following things:
  - Having at least one stable GIMP release per year.
  - Merging GSoC results faster in the main codebase (if appropriate)
    and advertising them as new features on our web site, etc.
  - Being better prepared for GSoC by focusing on a smaller set of
    ideas but with better descriptions of their scope, etc.
  - Making it easier for newcomers to contribute to the core. I admit
    that I do not know how to do that.  Maybe we could start by
    providing a good overview and top-down description of how GIMP
    works internally?  But I don't think I would even be able to
    write that myself...

-Raphaël