Raphaël Quinet wrote:
>   - Having at least one stable GIMP release per year.

That would be nice. I am sure there are a quite a few GIMP users who would
like to see some of the changes and new features available in a release
version without waiting a couple of years as has happened on occasion with
recent releases.

>   - Making it easier for newcomers to contribute to the core. I admit
>     that I do not know how to do that.  Maybe we could start by
>     providing a good overview and top-down description of how GIMP
>     works internally?

You beat me to suggesting this on the mailing list. Its something I've been
thinking about for a few weeks now. In fact, I recently ran across an open
source project (I forget which one) that mentioned on their web site that they
had available a document which had an overview to the source tree. I thought
this was a great idea.

The GIMP source tree has been cleaned up and reorganized over the last few
releases which makes it a bit easier to get in to but it is still a huge code
base and somewhat impenetrable to someone who doesn't spend a lot of time
wading through the directories. It also helps to know about auto-generated
files, and what they are for.

I have too many projects/interests so I haven't spent a lot of time trying to
decipher GIMP's huge source tree. For me it results in my avoiding GIMP
related coding that touches on the "internals". The fact I'm not a graphic
designer and that GIMP far exceeds my typical needs in an image manipulation
program also hasn't helped in my desire to delve too deeply in to GIMP's
source. Even delving too deep in to GEGL's relatively small source tree is a
bit more than I have time/inclination for at the moment.

The only problem with any docs re: the GIMP source tree right now is that they
will have to be restricted to GIMP 2.2 for now since the code will undergo
some big changes after the 2.4 release.

--
Cheers!

Kevin.