On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 15:56:16 -0600, Scott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 30, 2007 at 08:56:33AM +0200, Jakub Friedl wrote:
> > I think that "use image file quality unless defaults are 'better'" is not
> > thee problem. Problem is inheriting image quality between different images
> > in one GIMP session. I have a default quality of 85. Then I open DSLR image
> > with quality 95. Save it with that quality. Then I open and save low quality
> > cameraphone image. But I am not offered my default nor the original
> > cameraphone quality (which would be both understandable) but the DSLR
> > quality of 95. Huh? These images have nothing in common except they have
> > been opened in the same editor session. Do not mix them up.
> There are times I definitely *want* to save the settings from a
> previous save. [...]

If you want to save several images with the same settings, you can use
the buttons "Save defaults" and "Load defaults".  We also have an
enhancement request (bug #120829) about providing multiple presets
that could be saved and re-loaded when necessary.

I think that it is much better to require an explicit action if you
want to re-use some settings from one image to the next, instead of
always doing this automatically.  Each image should have its own
settings and should not be influenced by how you saved unrelated
images in the same session.  As in the example given by Jakub, it is
annoying that the parameters used for saving a high-quality DSLR
image are automatically re-used for saving a low-quality cameraphone

This should definitely change for 2.6.  But my question was about
what kind of workaround can be implemented quickly for 2.4.  It looks
like it might be better to have all plug-ins broken in the same way
instead of just fixing the most used ones, so that would be the
second option that I described in my previous message: ignore the
settings from the original JPEG images and always re-use the
parameters from the last saved image.  This is bad, but at least this
is consistent with other file plug-ins (until they can all be fixed).