I have written the following short blurb on the Sample Points feature
and provided a corresponding screenshot
(http://flashingtwelve.brickfilms.com/GIMP/Images/samplepoints.png).

-----------------------

SAMPLE POINTS

The ability to display information about sample points of an image has
been added. Sample points are added by holding down the CONTROL key
while dragging the mouse pointer from either the horizontal or
vertical ruler onto the drawing. Information about the pixel at a
sample point's location is displayed in a "Sample Points" dialog window.

After being placed on an image, a sample point can be moved using the
Color Picker Tool. A sample point can be removed by dragging it over
to one of the rulers.