On Fri,  9 Nov 2007 10:15:42 -0800, "William Skaggs" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> From: Raphaël Quinet <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >- All image parasites and layer/drawable parasites.  They should all
> >  be persistent - no reason to have exceptions.
> The problem is that when a parasite gets saved, it becomes in effect
> a part of the API that must be supported forever.  [...]
> This sort of thing may
> make sense for stable releases, but during development it is often a
> great convenience to be able to experiment with formats without every
> attempt being a commitment that will bind you forever.

Well, the developer releases are not supposed to be stable.  And as long
as the development tree is still far from any feature freeze, then it is
not wise to expect that its APIs will be supported forever.  The format of
some persistent parasites has been changed during the 1.3.x development
cycle in a way that was not backwards-compatible (maybe during other
cycles as well, I didn't check).  So I don't think that we have a real
problem here.

If you really think that unstable releases should never save stuff that
may be changed before the stable release, then we could add a new flag
flag only if GIMP_UNSTABLE is defined.  That would do exactly the opposite
of what we have now: parasites would be saved unless marked as unstable.
But that's a bit overkill...