I am new to this list.  I have been in need of layer groups and I couldn't
find any GIMP functionality to use them the way I needed to.  Maybe this is
in development for a later version of GIMP or a version I don't have.  I'm
running 2.4.2 on Ubuntu Gutsy.  I have written a Script-Fu plugin which will
fudge this functionality.  It groups layers by the first word in their
name.  Please forgive my programming, you'll see I'm horrific at best with
Script-Fu.  It's slightly messy, but should be pretty readable and may be a
great start for someone else looking at this functionality as well.  I look
forward to your comments.  You can download the script at