On Fri, 2008-08-29 at 14:15 +0200, Sven Neumann wrote:

> I also started to play with some enhancements on top of the patch we are
> discussing here. Using a steep gaussian filter instead of the plain box
> filter seems to be a good compromise. It's better at suppressing Moire
> patterns, at the cost of introducing a little blur. I have not yet
> finished this patch though and it has some issues. It works for the most
> common cases though and if someone is interested, it can be downloaded
> here: http://sven.gimp.org/misc/gimp-decimate-2.diff

In the meantime this patch has evolved and now also includes decimation
routines that only scale in one direction. But currently I am still in
favor of the first patch (gimp-decimate.diff).

Long-term we should try to get rid of the multi-pass scaling approach
and instead implement the scaling properly. But for 2.6, I'd like to
suggest that we apply gimp-decimate.diff.