Hi :)

> Comparing Lanczos 3% old vs patched: lefthand building roof has bad moire
> effects that totally obscure underlying detail. Both sets of trees have
> much less obvious staircasing in the current code. There is an overall
> impression of sharpness in the new code but this seems really to be just
> high contrast artifacts with a lack of intermediate tones.

I think these are aliasing artifacts caused by high-frequency components
in the original image - unless you take steps to remove frequencies
higher than the target sample rate before resampling a signal, aliasing
will result.  And as you noted, it affects my code too.

Reducing that effect required some form of low-pass filtering before
scaling - to remove the high frequency components which can't be
represented in the lower-resolution image.

Here's another version of the 3% reduction image, with a 33 radius (100%
/ 3%) gaussian blur applied before the reduction:

I also note that my original 3% version was one pixel narrower than
Sven's, so here it is again:

> Interestingly the blackfive code (thanks for sending the that algo
> Alistair) seems even harsher but does give some impression of sharpness by
> apparently accentuating edges.

I suspect that's just the result of a "cleaner", single-stage reduction
with the aliasing artifacts on top.

> If this is considered from an analytical , data processing perspective I
> can't imaginge what the frequency responce of this multipass approach must
> look like.

Chances are it would be low-pass to some degree, so arguably a
beneficial side-effect, even if a designed filter would be an improvement!

All the best,
Alastair M. Robinson