Maybe when you save the selection at the beginning of the plugin with

    selection = drawable.image.selection  #The selection mask for the image.
    bounds = drawable.mask_bounds #The bounds of the drawable's selection.
    #or like in feca_hdr: http://registry.gimp.org/node/4752
    self.sel_x1, self.sel_y1, self.sel_x2, self.sel_y2 =
drawable.mask_bounds

But like I said, I don't know anything about Python, I just had a look
at the old docs at
http://www.gimp.org/docs/python/index.html