I agree that it's quite confusing to have two different behaviors for
something that looks almost the same.
But I think it is good to have the other functionality available too, so
I guess it is worth to add a modificator key, as Peter suggested.

Something like this, for instance:
- Drop multiple images on Wilber (both in image window or toolbox):
opens each image as separate documents-
- Drop multiple images pressing alt: opens them as layers in the same
document.

The question is how to proceed when there is an image already opened in
the image window. I guess it should open images as layers in that case
(without pressing alt), and work in the same way that it does now, since
there wouldn't be a wilber in the image window.

What do you think?