On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 1:31 PM, JirkaS <jirka.stejs...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi everybody - I'm sw developer "enthusiast" and would like to try put my
> hands on GIMP. I worked as C and C++ developer for several years, but mostly
> on Windows (Unix only occasionally during my university time - and that's
> history folks). I'm working with GIMP for several years - just simple
> editing stuff for my pictures.

I'm not a Gimp developer, but I think I can help.

> I installed Ubuntu 8.10 on my laptop and would like to give it try, but I
> couldn't find a way to start. I tried to read developer.gimp.org FAQ, but it
> is very short describing

Developer.gimp.org is a very good start. But perhaps you can tell us
what you have already done.
You can read the most important things here:
http://developer.gimp.org/HACKING
or here:
http://gimp.org/develop/

And here are the basics:
http://www.gimpusers.com/news/2008-10-07/compile-gimp-260-for-ubuntu-804.html

I can only recommend to visit the Gimp IRC-Cannel, because there you
can directly talk to the developers:
http://www.gimp.org/irc.html

Regards:
Tobias